We currently have 57 apprentices enrolled in our program. Our apprentices have an upgrade Scheduled for June. Click on this link to see a current Apprentice list.
Terms of the Apprenticeship: Boilermaker’s Local 85 Apprenticeship Program requires, at a minimum, the following every six months: completion of 6 written self-study lessons, On the job training modules and passing a written exam. Also required is signing a scholarship loan agreement which legally obligates each apprentice to certain membership requirements.
Additionally to graduate to journeyman boilermaker status, you must complete a minimum 6000 hours of on the job training and you must attend, participate, and complete a minimum of 150 hours per year of classroom instruction.
Boilermakers work under an exclusive referral system. This system requires you sign a list at the hall from which you are referred to work. As jobs become available, you will be dispatched in the order in which you signed the list. There will be periods of unemployment which last from one day to several months. It is your responsibility to file for unemployment compensation during these periods of unemployment.
Boilermaker Apprentice Job Duties:
1. Loading and unloading materials.
2. Rigging materials for movement.
3. Directing crane operators
4. Assembling/disassembling scaffolds and work platforms.
5. Changing crane booms
6. Inspecting and caring for rigging accessories and equipment.
7. Burning and gouging.
8. Removing and replacing pressured and non-pressure components.
9. Interpreting blueprints.
10. Laying out components.
11. Erecting support steel beams, columns, high/low pressure components.
12. knowledge of and utilize skills for various welding equipment and processes.
13. Aligning and fitting components.
14. Welding processes utilized: SMAW, FCAW, GTAW
Please visit our Boilermakers Local #85 Training Center Website